Ever since the rise of the financial power for Chinese clubs, England and Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney has been linked with a move there.
Sven-Göran Eriksson, former England manager wants him to play for his team (Shanghai SIPG).
The amount of money being paid for stars is huge and the wages being paid for the players themselves is enormous.
Piers Morgan revealed a call between him and Rooney as the latter spoke about the offer which came from China.
Here’s the conversation below, as Piers Morgan wrote:
- My phone rang at 11pm tonight. It was England football captain Wayne Rooney.
- He wanted to discuss his forthcoming Manchester United testimonial plans this summer.
- But we also talked about reports in the papers this week that he’s been offered ridiculous sums of money to go and play in China for Shanghai, a team managed by Sven–Göran Eriksson.
- ‘It’s true,’ he said.
- ‘How big a salary are we talking?’
- Rooney chuckled.
- ‘Come on,’ I prodded, ‘make me sick.’
- He then revealed a figure, based on a three-year deal, so stupendously, stratospherically gigantic that it did indeed make me feel instantly nauseous. (Without giving too much away, let’s just say it included eight noughts…) I literally gasped in horror, prompting him to add a final killer blow: ‘After tax!’
- ‘There’s another advantage I can see,’ I said.
- ‘What’s that?’
- ‘The Chinese fans won’t realize how slow you’ve got.’
- ‘**** off!’