Manchester United’s 1-0 win against Aston Villa at Old Trafford was indeed a crucial victory but at the same time it was a game which could have ended in a big score if the Red Devils had played more confidently.
There was also a point in the game when the Villains started attacking and could have scored a late equalizer.
There was without a doubt frustration from the crowd and they were loudly showing it which forced the Dutch manager to come out and address the situation.
- “I agree that we have to give more entertainment for the fans but also you have to win each of your game.
- It was not our best performance, of course, you have seen it for yourself.
- I think we played too slowly and it was also difficult as they were playing very defensively and very compact.
- So then you need quicker play, quicker ball-speed and so on. In the first half we created enough chances to finish with two goals and then the motivation also with the players of Villa shall be less and the game is more easy.
- It is not like that though – we didn’t finish and, at the end, could have drawn which is not good.”
The manager also reflected on the fact that club captain Wayne Rooney was itching to play a full 90 minutes and also praised his performance on his return.
- “He [Rooney] was angry on me because he wanted to play 90 minutes! He had a positive first-half.
- That pass [in the build-up to the goal] was fantastic. He did a lot of switches.
- I think he played a very good first half but, in the second half, you could see he was tired.
- He was losing the ball [several times] in a row but that’s also logical when you’re not playing for two months and not training for two months.
- It is difficult to adapt to the rhythm of the Premier League.
The manager didn’t forget to mention the goal scorer, Marcus Rashford.
- “I wanted to change Rashford because he is young and has played many matches in a row, I wanted to take advantage of his momentum.
- It was also good movement, I have to say, as he runs for the first ball and then cut off because there was no space for that.
- Antonio Valencia was very good to see that and he [Rashford] scored a very good and important goal.”
Commenting on Aston Villa’s late efforts which could have saw them grab a point.
- We could also have scored with Memphis when there was the save by the goalkeeper and the post.
- We have to finish [the game] much earlier. We could have done that and then the motivation of Villa is less than ever.
- You can finish the game but, now, still the motivation was there and Villa could have score