AS Monaco vice president Vadim Vasilyev revealed why he sold Anthony Martial to Manchester United.
Money, as Vasilyev explained was a factor as Martial became the youngest teenager in the game with £36m paid while the price can go up depending on contract clauses.
But the player’s wish as well came in as an important aspect.
Martial himself had asked Vadim to make the transfer happen.
Here’s what he said:
- “If I was hesitant to sell Martial? Yes, because I imagined that the 2015-2016 season would be his.
- That’s why we had extended his contract in July. Other transfers were more or less expected, not that one.
- There was the money, but also the fact that Anthony had said, ‘Mr. Vasilyev this is my childhood dream’.
- If we kill this dream, you can also lose the boy for several months.
- He sent me his first autographed jersey and thanked me for giving him this chance.”